Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Why we read?


Reading is not my greatest hobby. I rather be active through playing sports outside and not straining my eyes by looking at pages filled with long sentences and complex words. Unfortunately for me, it is impossible to avoid reading. Teachers are always assigning textbook pages to read, metaphoric Shakespearean plays to decipher, and short essays to annotate in a one day time period. This just makes my dislike for reading increase. We read because we are forced to. If we don't read we end up with a failing grade on the reading quiz and not understanding what the teacher is talking about the next day. Reading in this manner destroys both our imaginations and creativity. If we were to enjoy reading then it would have to be reading in which we do not get graded and not forced to figure out what it means. True reading is up to our pure imaginations. It is supposed to be enjoyment that a teacher does not have to check up on. Reading is supposed to help us open our imaginations and be more analytical. It is supposed to show us a world unseen. Personally, I don't enjoy both reading for school or for leisure. I rather be out doing and taking action than sitting and taking a breather. Reading is tedious and time consuming. Why read when there is an open world waiting to be explored and so little time to do all?

No comments:

Post a Comment